In February 2018 we are heading to Costa Rica with Carmel Calcagno for a week of yoga and connecting with nature. Below, Carmel tells us what inspired the theme of her “Pulsating with Nature” Costa Rica Yoga Retreat, who her greatest yoga influences have been, what quotes inspire her practice, and more! Meet Carmel and find out what you can expect on her retreat by checking out our exclusive interview below!
Meet True Nature Leader Carmel Calcagno
1. HOW DOES THE IDEA OF “PULSATING IN NATURE” PLAY INTO THIS RETREAT? WHAT THEMES DO YOU SEE COMING UP THROUGHOUT THE JOURNEY?
I chose Pulsating with Nature as my theme because every day we have the opportunity to align with the “spanda” of the universe in our practice. In Costa Rica we will be surrounded by the beauty of this country, so we will connect to the 5 Elements each day, hoping to feel each element and it’s offering to us so that we can then take with us after we leave this retreat. To envelop ourselves to understand that everything we need is already within us.
2. WHO HAS BEEN YOUR GREATEST INFLUENCE AND WHY?
I would have to begin with my first yoga teacher in 1989 who introduced me to all this practice has to offer, teaching me to live my life on and off the mat with integrity and truth. Being a Certified Anusara Teacher since 2003, I have to say that John Friend was the greatest influence because as my teacher he taught me to offer and share all about the beauty of this practice with my students as he did.
3. IF THERE WAS A YOGA POSE OR MEDITATION PRACTICE THAT DESCRIBED YOU – WHAT WOULD IT BE AND WHY?
My meditation practice is a part of every day in my life and we will start each day on this retreat with meditation. My favorite pose is hard to say because I have many, but I love inversions and Ardha Chandra Chipasana.
4. OTHER THAN YOGA AND MEDITATION – WHAT ARE SOME OF YOUR PASSIONS? WILL THESE BE EXPLORED IN YOUR RETREAT?
Nature calls me and I love to be surrounded by it. I am called to be near water, the ocean is my favorite. Practicing Yoga outside, walking, hiking and laughing. Being Happy, which we will hopefully practice every day.
5. WHAT IS ON YOUR “COSTA RICA BUCKET LIST” AND WHAT ARE YOU MOST EXCITED ABOUT?
Practicing together outside, waterfalls, rainforest and learning from each other.
6. IS THERE A SAYING OR QUOTE THAT REALLY RESONATES WITH YOU AND YOUR UPCOMING RETREAT?
“Seek the Wisdom that will untie the knot
seek the path that demands your whole being
Leave that which is not, but appears to be
seek that which is, but is not apparent.”
Learn more about Carmel and her upcoming retreat at http://truenaturetravels.com/retreats/yoga-costarica-carmel/